This Blog will allow my orchestra students (and anyone else) to follow me as I study Irish traditional music at the Blas Festival at the University of Limerick thanks to a Chicago Foundation for Education fellowship.

I also hope that this site can be a resource for my students as I will include links to songs that I am working on, performances, and other multimedia fun.

Friday, June 28, 2013

So now, apparently I introduce super-famous Irish traditional musicians in Gaelic

Dia yeev a harche. Chris is ainem dom. Is fiddler me. Is as mericaw me. Shah ee Katherine Foley. Is rinkoree ee, agas is Magella Bartley. Is fluteedor ee. (pause) Bool hay boss moor.

That's right. I'm a joiner. I also raise my hand for things and sit in front (I am getting blinder by the day). So after my first 45 minutes of taking Irish (Gaelic) when Ian, our lecturer, asked who would like to volunteer to join someone from the advanced Irish class to introduce the performers for the lunchtime concert, I volunteered. The moment is captured somewhere on digital media, but, as of yet, I am unsure as to how to flip over the video from me appearing upside down to me appearing right side up. It went great. I think that I should retire from Irish right now because I really can't learn anything else.

....seriously, I really don't think that I can learn anything else. I'm no language expert, but Irish makes absolutely no sense. As far as I can tell there are no rules as far as pronunciation, syntax or spelling. I'm not sure what it is based on, but there is something about the Romans never making it to Ireland (they stopped in England) that screws the whole thing up. We did watch a video in class- see it's not just in CPS where you go to class and watch movies- it's kinda cute. It's in the margin off to the right. I know that it doesn't work if you are on a phone, so here is a link.

Anyhow. I'm super sad because I literally do not have enough time to write this blog. I know that is really a good thing because I am having very full days that are full of activity, but I keep wanting to get things down.

My day starts with a lecture on some Irish subject. The lectures have included Changing trends in Irish Traditional Muisc, Diversity in Irish Step Dance Practices, Place, Meaning and Function in Sean-Nos Singing and Irish Balladry and Balladeers. I  know that they may sound super boring or that I'm stuck at some obscure music conference or locked in a room and forced to read a pile of arcane dissertations but the lectureshave actually been fairly enjoyable
? Really it's the same phenomenon that you might get when you watch a nature show, a VH1 Behind the Music on Grand Funk Railroad or a This Old House  episode. You really might not have any interest in this person's desire to install track lighting in the third floor bathroom of the victorian, but it's oddly interesting to see how someone would do it.

Although I suppose that what I really like is one of the things that I miss from being in collection;  Its just nice to listen to someone who is a scholar in a subject share their knowledge with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment