This Blog will allow my orchestra students (and anyone else) to follow me as I study Irish traditional music at the Blas Festival at the University of Limerick thanks to a Chicago Foundation for Education fellowship.

I also hope that this site can be a resource for my students as I will include links to songs that I am working on, performances, and other multimedia fun.

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Something that I wish for everyone

It  goes withòut saying that I like music. I like to play music, listen to music, talk about music, listen to people play music and listen to people talk about muisc.

Most times when I go out to see my friends or some other social gathering, I find myself,  at some point wishing we could play some music- but it's just not socially acceptable. Many times I have found myself at a party huddlled in the corner with someone playing the guitar or out on the balcony or porch. There was a time when I was younger when people that I knew would just say, "You can't just start playing music at a party because it takes over everything- It's actually impolite." I agree with this and am well aware of this.


It is very fun for me to be in an environment where everyone is a musician or a dancer. We had the most amazing house session today. It is Saturday, so there are no classes or concerts at the summer school. After a day of sightseeing with some of my colleagues (more on that later) we decided no to go to the session at the local pub, but rather to get some food and play in the common room in our dorm.

There were about 8-10 people. Dancers, Irish flute, fiddle, mandolin and singers. People were from US, Dublin, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Wales and Scotland.    We spent a while going around the circle calling tunes. Most of the tunes were Irish Trad tunes. A couple of people sung some ballads.   Then, everyone started to sing a folk song from their country. A couple of people had never sung in front of others, but the atmosphere was so supportive that literally everyone had a song. The songs were beautiful. There were songs in Swedish, Gaelic English and German. I sung a Steve Earle song and a John Prine song with a girl from California who, like me knew many American folk tunes. We all learned a couple of dance steps from some different places as well.

I have heard that anthropologists have not yet found a culture that has not had music, and music is the perfect medium through which to understand other people and cultures.

I hope that everyone would be able to find something that they like to do and someone with whom they like doing it.

Our session lasted 6 hours....

No comments:

Post a Comment